www.MsCorporateAmerica.com

Monday, January 25, 2016

7 Unforgettable Moments During my First 7 Days of the UWP World Tour!

“The journey of a 1000 miles begins with one single step.” 
Lao-Tzu 

I was terrified. Who leaves their job and decides to travel around the world to do what they love?  What type of person would go against societal norms and follow their dreams?

A journey of a lifetime begins with the courage to say YES. It’s the courage to not let the best years of your life pass you by because of the fears that consume you. 

Life moves when you are willing to take unfamiliar steps not knowing what the outcome will be. Why do you need to know every thing that will happen next? Everything you could ever want is on the other side of fear.

So I decided to JUMP. On January 15th, I printed my one - way ticket to Denver, Colorado so that I could join the Up with People Cast on a world performing arts tour. When I said “See you later Chicago”, I was officially saying good bye to the fears that incapacitated me. When my plane landed in Denver, I was saying “Hello!” to a life that I could fall in love with over and over again.

But who knew that the first 7 days as an Up with People cast member would be so exciting?! I can’t believe I almost allowed fear to keep me away from this once in a lifetime opportunity.

If you have a dream, do what it takes to make it reality. One single step can lead to a lifetime of happiness. My first 7 days have been filled with unforgettable moments that have opened me up to another side of living. Are you ready to live your dreams? Here is a glimpse of 7 rewards that I received for taking a step to join Up with People. 
  
    1.  Walking in the Martin Luther King Day Marade. Monday, January 18, 2016 was NOT an ordinary Monday. It was a day of many FIRSTS. It was my first day as a cast member in Denver. It was my first day watching cast members perform pieces of the Up with People musical show “The Journey”. It was my first time walking in a parade to celebrate the courage and commitment of a man who brought hope and healing to America.

Martin Luther King’s I have a dream speech was recited by a group of UWP staff members before heading out of the Sherman Center to march in the parade. MLK’s dream reminded me of why I joined Up with People. I want to inspire others through music and dance and break down cultural barriers that prevent all of us from uniting and loving each other unconditionally. The theme for this year’s Marade is “Remember, Celebrate, Act – A Day On, Not A Day Off: The Promise of Democracy.” Our March led us to the Colorado State Capitol House! What powerful way to start the week!



     2.   I wasn’t expecting a beautiful dress and photo shoot. On Wednesday, January 20th, we were required to bring our costume options for our performance world tour. Unfortunately, my suitcase did not contain any of the colors that were required for my show. What’s a woman to do??? This is where I express my gratitude. My host mom saved the day by finding me a dress in her closet that was the perfect color and fit! Thanks to my host mom, my photo shoot was a success!



    3.   Nothing like Friday night Smores. The fire was going and the smores were roasting! Friday night chocolate is just what I needed after a full week of dancing, singing, and training for the first Up with People show that will take place on February 13th! Guess what? This was my first time sitting around the fire making smores!


  
    4.   Dance All The Way To Your Dreams. Literally. Up with People gives you the opportunity to use dance as a way to connect with people of different cultures and inspire people to believe in their dreams. It takes work to have that type of IMPACT. On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I had the opportunity to attend special dance workshops with the possibility of performing those dances in an upcoming show. Eeeek! In order to prepare for the life of a dancer, my cast mates and I worked it out with push-ups and squats on Saturday morning! Let’s go!


    5.    Food with My Host Family.  I feel like the luckiest woman in the world. I have been paired with an incredible young lady from Belgium who is now my UWP sister for the next 3 weeks while in Denver. We have such an incredible host family who loves to cook and share stories at the dinner table every night.

Through daily meal preparation and dinner conversations, I've learned about traditions, cultural similarities and differences, and relationships. I open my ears even wider to get a glimpse into people's lives and understand what drives them. I LOVE banana walnut waffles and salmon, rice and broccoli dinners, but I appreciate the conversations that ends with hugs even more.





     6.    I can’t believe I went Hiking. Don’t be afraid to try something new. Great rewards come to those who are willing to go beyond their comfort zone. I accumulated over 6000 steps due to my host family hiking adventure in Boulder, Colorado! I’m so proud of myself because I would not classify myself as an outdoor person but I enjoyed every minute of it. Even the moments when I was scared to move forward because I thought I would slip in the mud were moments of exhilaration.  Those are the moments that showed me what I was truly made of. It also showed me that it’s ok to ask for help. I wouldn’t have made it back to the car if it wasn’t for my host family and UWP sister Maria. I was exhausted. But the support and motivation I received kept me moving forward.




  
     7.    Football Sundays are quite tasty! My second full day of Denver ended when I witnessed a victory from the Denver Broncos with my fellow UWP cast mates. Go Broncos! We went to another host family house in Louisville and was greeted with chili and ice cream! Wait. There’s more! Another football get together took place on Sunday, January 24th at my host family place. Guess what? Broncos win again! Guess why I’m excited? My host family cooked chili, prepared tortilla chips with mango peach salsa, and served chocolate brownies with ice cream. Scrumptious! I think I’m falling in love with Football Sundays.






If my first 7 days in Denver were filled with these many festivities, I am looking forward to the surprises that await my cast in the next 4 months. Great things happen when you have the courage to say YES to your dreams. All it takes is a single step. 

Are you seeking to travel the world and make a difference? Apply to become a part of the Up with People cast by going to www.upwithpeople.org

Contact me for a strategy session! 

Keep Creating Endless Opportunities, 

Charlene Rhinehart
Ms. Corporate America 2015 
www.charlenerhinehart.com 
www.thecareergoddess.com 

         

No comments:

Post a Comment