www.MsCorporateAmerica.com

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Understanding Beyonce, Business, and Balance while Traveling Around The World!

It’s week 3 of my Up with People World Tour! Woohoo! Wait. What does that really mean? What happens during week 3? Early Mornings. Late Nights. Dance Rehearsals. Vocal Exercises. Educational Sessions. Wardrobe Approvals. Media Training. Fancy Dinners. Meals On -The - Go. Fatigue. Excitement.  Ups. Downs. Flips. Turns. Where do I end? What do I do? 

Ask Beyonce! She seems to have it all figured out. Well let's get this straight. Having it all figured out does not mean knowing it all and exemplifying perfection. It means keeping a team around you who can help you go from where you are to where you want to be. It means understanding who you are and paying attention to what you need in order to be mentally and emotionally ready for the journey you are walking on. It means partnering and reaching out to new people so that you can expand your circle, influence, and impact. It means working through the pain in order to tap into exclusive gains.

Watching Beyonce's Superbowl performance on February 7th (My Birthday!) proved to me that she understands the power of using teamwork to make all of her dreams work. Little did I know, the 3rd week of my Up with People tour was going to test me and force me to THINK like Beyonce in order to be my best during each moment. It forced me to rely on my team in order to adapt to a lifestyle transformation as a Certified Public Accountant and Fitness Instructor to a full-time performer  on a mission to unite the world through music and dance. CHANGE is NOT easy but it challenges you to tap into other parts of you in order to release the BEST of you!




Monday (Feb 1, 2016). Happy February! Oh no - February already? Why couldn't we have a SNOW DAY today??? My heart started beating uncontrollably and my stomach started bubbling with nervousness. Am I ready for February? Well at that moment I was NOT ready for February and my facial expressions revealed all of my concerns. But something told me to attend the full day of staging for our first Up with People show so I did it! Now I understand why I was supposed to experience that day.  

Our first education activity required us to share our emotions. Emotions? What's that? Business and emotions usually don't mix. Right? I may be wrong on this one. We focused on the four phases of emotions that participants may feel during week 3: Honey Moon, Crisis, Recovery, Adjustment.  I won't reveal the category that I placed myself in but all I know is that I wanted to feel BETTER. I was so excited during week 2 and I wanted to recapture those feelings. My incredible CHEWIE (Anne) saves the day by being a great listener and sharing comforting advice. What's a chewie? An accountability partner who keeps you on track and reminds you of your WHY when you are emotionally and mentally drained. Within 10 minutes of talking to Anne, I felt like a new person! HALLELUJAH!

Then the emotions came back when we played "Cross the Line". What a deep game! We had to cross the line if we could relate to the statement. Crossing the line gave you a chance to share your stories and experiences. We shared stories about bullying, socioeconomic status, growing up in a single family home, religion, spirituality, and many more details that left many of us in tears. 

What an emotional day! We had the chance to leave at 4 PM due to the snowstorm that was heading towards Denver. Early dismissal means additional time to practice and prepare for a better week! 

Tuesday (Feb 2, 2016). Ask and you shall receive! Ground hog day and guess what?? Snow Day! Is this my lucky day? I wanted to rest since I was a bit under the weather and this was my moment. My lucky day had arrived.  I also found out I was the Ms. Corporate America Ambassador and spoke to my blogging coach. It was time to get ready for a month of progress! 

Wednesday (Feb 3, 2016). An introduction to "Life in the Fish Bowl" at 9am. Here are the highlights from the session:

  • Your life will be fundamentally different since you are in Up with People 
  • When the camera is on, don't pick your nose. 
  • Welcome to the fish bowl where you now live in the public eye. And the public is everywhere. You will lose your anonymity. 
  • You may become the spokesperson for Up with People! 
  • You have the opportunity to reach and impact far more people than you have every imagined. 
I can't wait to see what unfolds during this journey! So what else happened? Dance practice and learning more about the cities that we will be visiting on our World Tour. Late night of rehearsals until 8:30 PM. 




Thursday (Feb 4, 2016) Health Day. I have never taken a sick day from work unless I was in the hospital. But I was forced to LISTEN to my body. Balance is key when you are on a mission! Your mind may want to do a million things but your body may have other needs. LISTEN. I did! Unfortunately, I had to miss the dance review for one of my favorite dances. I absolutely loved the Janet/Michael Jackson 80's Dance and hope to perform it one day but today was not going to be that day. 

Friday (Feb 5, 2015). Last day at the Sherman Center. Check out my last video at the Sherman Center in downtown Denver. What's next? Dinner for Two!  It’s not what you are thinking. I had dinner with an incredible personal growth coach that I met at the leadership roundtable.  The one and only Stephanie Collins! When I read Stephanie's bio, I was immediately captivated by her mission. I told my host mom how intrigued I was with Stephanie's story and how I wanted to meet her. Well my host mom knew Stephanie Collins! Small world! Not only did I connect with her at the leadership roundtable but we went to one of her favorite Thai restaurants and discussed business and balance. It was clearly a Beyonce type of conversation (whatever that means). Stephanie asked questions that would help me identify my target audience in business. I informed her that I would love to work with Accountants and Finance professionals between the ages of 23-35 who are seeking to remove self-limiting fears, go beyond their cubes, and create career success and happiness. Hmmmm...that target group that I want to work with sounds a lot like ME.  I will never forget this statement. "There are people who are looking for and NEED what you have to offer. They just don't know that you exist yet." Well I think it's almost time for us to meet! I told Stephanie that I would create more videos on youtube so that I can connect with my target audience. Stay tuned! 





Saturday (Feb 6, 2016).  No off day this Saturday. I have a feeling that Beyonce rarely takes off days when she has a show coming up. This was our first day at Manual High School. I started my day with 3 hours of dancing prep at Manual High School since I was on the dance team crew.

I did NOT take the bus back to Louisville. Why? I was greeted by huge smiles at Manual High School at 6PM as I met my family. I’m sure Beyonce meets new people every time that she goes on tour but it's an amazing feeling when you meet family! Dinner with my Family. 

Sunday (Feb 7, 2016).  Superbowl Sunday and my Birthday! Birthday Breakfast at Lucile's in Boulder. Shrimp and Grits & Beignets! Then my host mom, Marie, and I went shopping for our show costumes. Next was the Super Bowl! Guess who performed?? Beyonce and Bruno Mars! What an incredible birthday present! 


]







No comments:

Post a Comment